Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Surgery...

This past Friday, Dan had another surgery. I think we are close to 30...You think this would be something I would have an exact count of, but...I don't. The real reason for this is that I am never sure what to call "surgery" and what is a "procedure". I have come to this conclusion...if he is under general anesthesia...it is surgery. If his body is cut into...it is surgery. I know this sounds cut and dry (no pun intended), but sometimes it's not. Regardless...Friday he was under general anesthesia, but no knives, only lasers...so it was surgery. Dan is having this new laser treatment with a CO2 laser. This last one was the third in a series of five. We are seeing amazing results. It is smoothing the texture of the scars on his face, evening out the pigmentation, and giving his skin more pliability. Anyway, we drove to San Antonio Thursday evening for Friday surgery. The best part of the trip was the excuse to stay with our best friends, the Voltins, for a long weekend. Pam and Ryan have 3 awesome kids, who I am thinking about stealing:) Their younger two are Trey and Macy's ages and then they have a 14 year old, Jaida. I wish I had planned better and had a 14 year old first. Man, she is so awesome! Anyway, the kids had constant playmates, we had home cooked meals and Dan had a comfortable place to recover. Not to mention the fact that although I was pretty prepared...I totally forgot wound care supplies...luckily we were at another burn guy's house, with plenty of supplies. One of my favorite memories was Saturday morning when I was applying aquaphor to Dan's oozy swollen face...all four little ones were standing and sitting around him discussing our method of wound care and how to care for him best...holding his hands or giving him kisses... among others... just another day in our kids lives:)

Saturday night we all went trick or treating on base. I don't know what life is like outside base, but our kids may have rung 3 doorbells. At almost every house, people were sitting outside on chairs to hand out candy. We had so much fun. Macy dressed up as Tinkerbell (courtesy of her Abi, Dan's mom) and Trey wanted a repeat from last year, so he was Dash, again. (No complaints from me!) I will post pictures tomorrow...with some news about whether this baby is a boy or a girl!!!

2 comments:

ellen said...

Praying for a quick recovery! Happy for good results! Can't wait for the pictures!

Davis Family said...

I heard you guys were at church this past weekend and I'm bummed that we missed you!!! So glad Dan's surgeries are going well! Look forward to hearing if that sweet baby is a boy or a girl!