Tuesday, September 30, 2008

One day, TWO surgeries...

Well, Dan was the first case this morning and around 10 am, I talked to the Doctors and everything had gone as planned. Dan was in recovery and doing well, scheduled to come home as soon as his pain was under control. At 11:30, I got a call from Dr. Thomas saying that Dan was bleeding and they were taking him back into surgery. After a solid prayer, a freak-out moment, and a good run down to where the doctor was, I was able to see Dan. He looked good to me, until Dr. Thomas pointed out his left shoulder. There was an internal bleed where they had just done surgery, forming a hematoma. This can be dangerous if it bleeds toward his neck, b/c it can cut off his airway or circulation, luckily, the bleed was not going towards his neck. Needless to say, within 5 minutes of my getting there, he was being rolled back into surgery to find the bleed, and clean out the newly formed hematoma. (Which if you remember from previous posts is a collection of blood, usually clotted, in a tissue or organ, caused by a break in a blood vessel. I did just copy and paste that definition b/c my brain could not come up with the right words. I have been up since 5am :) Anyway, about an hour and a half later, I talked to the surgeons and they were happy with how the surgery went.

The only reason I am home, updating this blog, is b/c I had to run home to pick up a few things for Dan b/c he will be staying in the hospital overnight. He actually looked great and was in pretty good spirits, all things considered. Two anesthesia's+two surgeries+ one day= stay in hospital. We are both fine with that and considering that my kiddos are in South Texas having tons of fun, it takes all sorts of pressure off me.

We continue to covet your prayers and know that our God is in control! I will update tomorrow.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! What a day! You guys hang in there and know we are still praying. I hope you get some sleep tonight and Dan is able to come home tomorrow. Love you!

ellen said...

We are praying for you always! What a day! We are so glad the surgery was successful. We are praying for rest and Patrick to come home tomorrow! Thanks for being so faithful to update us even when running home to get a few things!

Unknown said...

Thanks to God that they found the problem quickly and were able to take care of it!!! We continue to pray that things will be easier for your family. You have been through so much!! I'm glad Lizette has the kiddos to allow you more time without having to worry about them. Thanks again for the updates! We are with you in spirit!

Jae and Sierra said...

Wowsers. Nothing says a productive day like two surgeries! Yikes. That stinks, but good to know that he's doing much better. Hope to hear that he has made it back home...where you can baby him and love on him! I know that's the best medicine, much better than the stuff they give at the hospital. Crazy, huh? Miss you both and will be thinking of you guys!